Wednesday, April 6, 2011

A daughter is a gift of love....


The love between a mother and her daughter is special. A mother takes her daughter under her wing and teaches her how to be a woman. In order to do this, you have to ask yourself what it means to be a woman of today. How do you balance care for others with your own quest for meaning and joy in life and how do you pass on these lessons to your daughter?
Me and My baby girl
I was blessed with an amazing daughter born June 13, 1992 her beautiful name is Jorden Nicole Holcombe.  She is the apple of my eye. I had two amazing baby girls for 4 1/2 years.  During that time these babies loved to play together, well until Jessica would have her friends over and fuss that Jorden was in her room too and she needed some friend time without her baby sister. I still have on cassette tape, Jessica, Jorden and Jess best friend Briana Worley singing their favorite song "Can you come out and play" then after that they recorded each of them telling what they would like for Christmas... That year Jorden wanted a Pocahontas Tent (yes she got it).  Jorden was very independent as a baby on up to her teenage years. She was and is very self-sufficient. She has always known what she wants and where she wants to go. I admire her for this. She loved her sister very much she wanted to go and do everything Jessica did and never really understood why she wasn't always allowed. I was so very lucky to have stayed home with her for the first year of her life, it was so very hard to leave her and go back to work.  I will never forget the first day of Kindergarten Jorden badly wanted to ride the big yellow school bus and mom well I wasn't to excited about that. She looked so dang cute, her little rain coat, hair all big and pretty, and had her elephant lunch box in her hand, so I let her but I followed the bus the entire way to school, parked where the buses parked (yea school didn't like that all to much) and jumped out of my car and ran over to the kids getting off the bus so that I could take my babies first bus ride picture, needless to say that was her last. hehehe sorry Jor Jor. 

Sure wish I had my photos scanned and not just in books, but I didn't really know how to do any of that until her middle school - college years. I have so very many baby pictures I would love to share. My BFF sister said the next time I get to visit with her, she will help me so maybe you will be able to see someday what a beautiful baby girl I had. 

Jorden weighed 10lbs 10oz and was 22in long, yepper I had a toddler, but I thank God everyday for that 10 pounder as some of you know she was born with an ovarian tumor.  Yes both of my babies had cancer. The took my baby girl by c-section and 3 days later we were off to Boman Grey in Winston Salem NC.  The people we met with were amazing, the McDonald House set us up so that we did not incur any more expense so we were able to just walk over to her everyday, when one of us wasn't sleeping on the floor in the waiting room. Due to Jorden's weight it was possible for the surgeon to remove the avocado size tumor from her left ovary and tube and her appendix. She came through the surgery just fine, and again why I thank my God is that this tumor was benign so after some check ups my baby girl was going to be just fine.

She progressed on to elementary schools oh so many wonderful memories. She hated mommy fixing her hair (well she hates it now looking back at old pictures, she sure didn't seem to mind at the time) but she hated how BIG I made her long beautiful blond hair... She says to me "Mom, Really you had to make my hair so big" oh how I loved that child. Jorden has some very special friends, friends that she has had since kindergarten. There are so many to mention I will focus on my sweet Kaleb Hines he has been in her homeroom since kindergarten  through 12th grade and now they are both at UNCC in Charlotte NC together and share some classes, to me that is just amazing. He is like my own child.  They can fight like brother and sister, and have each others back at any given time.

I am going to jump to high school where Jorden really came into her own person, from being a tom-boy all through middle school and never thinking I would ever see my baby girl out of a "hoodie" but we did and at that point I wasn't so sure I should have wished that (LOL). She attended A.C. Reynolds High School and she has played sports her entire life. Jorden played Basketball, Softball, Volleyball and Track throughout her high school years. She maintained wonderful grades, graduated with 3 honors and I could not be more proud of her. I want to cap a few pictures from the 4 years my baby became the sweetest little women I had ever met.  Freshman year the beginning of so many new things for Jorden, and one that is still by her side to this day is her very first boy friend Will Davenport.  This picture was taken at a church camp they both attended.
She really enjoyed her Sophomore year, she was so glad she was not a Freshman any longer, she was not the low man on the pole, she was oh so happy.

On her "16th" birthday I was fortunate enough to take my sweet baby girl to Cancun Mexico... It was the most amazing time spent together ~ I had decorated the room full of fun stuff, and I woke her up on the day of her birthday in our beautiful ocean side room with a "Fog Horn" yepper I did it was so fun. We swam with the dolphins, shopped, hung out at the pool and soaked up the sun.
Me and Jorden Cancun Mexico

Cancun Sweet 16
 This was the first time Jorden and I traveled alone, I enjoyed every single min with her Thanks to my wonderful husband who made this trip happen.
My sweet Jorden, Cancun Mexico "16"

Then came my babies Junior year of high school, Oh lord how grown she seemed. Still in her life is Will Davenport, more dances, driving, staying out later... Running track, going to prom, the year seemed to go by so quickly. She was an amazing young lady. Rodney and I enjoyed raising her so very much.  At this point she never gave gave us any trouble.. Oh yes the occasional smarty mouth but she was a great child, she made wonderful grades and had the best friends a mother could ask for. Her are a few pictures from her 11th grade year...                                                            
 She was amazing at Volleyball....... Loved to watch her play, so aggressive...  
                That baby girl loves her 'purple"...
As her momma, I did not want her to do hurdles during track.... But I did not win that fight, and I am really glad I didn't because she did great and she loved it
Junior year prom with Mr. Will.... She looked amazing.  Rodney and I got to go with her (and buy LOL) her beautiful prom dress... Just like our girl she wanted a non-traditional dress and she picked out a beautiful one... I was so very proud of them both...They came back to our house after prom with 4 of their couple friends, Rodney had built a fire pit that morning, and my sweet friend Dawn Greene and Rodney fixed them all breakfast. I got to sit around the fire and hear all the wonderful stories... It was amazing.

I always dreamed of her senior year, graduation, preparing for college, growing up. The dream seemed allot better once that day arrived, I felt like I was loosing my baby... She did a fantastic job on her Senior Project, still involved with Will Davenport, had so many dreams, met new friends ~ some I liked some I wasn't ready for. Parties, dances, staying out even later.... My baby was growing up right before our eyes. Rodney and I really enjoyed watching her mature into a beautiful young lady, we even enjoyed the alone time we seemed to have so much of, LOL...  Just a few pictures of my babies Senior year, her graduation, her "18" birthday.  What wonderful memories we will have a life time
You go girl with your RED boots....

She is my pride and joy!!!

Her senior prom shared memories with Will for another night of magic......
Enjoyed taking pictures in our back yard... She is growing up way to fast.......Will and Jorden took time out of their special night to go visit her Granny in the hospital, this was so very special and the hospital staff just loved her.

That baby girl loves her Granny and Paw Paw

Then comes my beautiful Jorden's graduation day, most of my family and friends made it to this very special day. The last time I would experience my baby graduating after all her hard work, turning "18" the very next day and preparing to leave home for college... Thank you to everyone who made this weekend so special.

Graduated with 3 honors

I know this one is blurry but I just loved her looking up at all of us and waving with both hands, YIPPIE goodbye high school.... She was so excited it made us all smile...

And then it was off to her party, my baby just
graduated and turning "18" .... I was happy, sad, scared, excited all balled up in one.  I wanted her party to go off with a bang, I wanted her to remember this time in her life as she traveled to make her new mark on life as special as I could make it... everything did not go just as I had dreamed it would, but for me and Jorden and Rodney it was the most amazing time in our life.  My sister's Amanda, Lisa made the party room just amazing, with the help of my sweet Jennifer and her dad, my sweet friend Nikki while while we were at the ceremony these wonderful people in my life made sure that room looked incredible when we all arrived, I will never be able to thank them enough.
This was the decorating and list making crew, minus sweet Jennifer, Gary, Jeff, and many others who made this day possible...

Yes that is Jorden with her Ammy.  Ammy is very very dear to Jorden and she made this weekend all about JORDEN...

This day was special because my sister Amanda, my wonderful mother-n-law, and Tebo made all the food... My mom and so many others supplied the party favors all in an effort to make this day so very very wonderful.


Paw Paw and Granny, Nana and Bo Bo made this a wonderful day........
My sweet Tebo worked his booty off all for  "Jorden"
My daddy knew I wanted him here more than anything, he traveled a very long way to be here to celebrate the ending and the beginning of a new life for his granddaugther............


My sweet Aunt Frances and momma danced the night away......... This was an amazing time in our life. I have truly been blessed with an amazing family. I have married into the most amazing family... I do not know what more I could ever ask for.... Thank you from the bottom of my heart!!!!









No comments:

Post a Comment